Drag widgets out of the dasboard layer and onto the desktop.
The DevMode widget serves two functions. First, it shows the current status of Dashbooard Development Mode. Second, if you click on the widget it will turn devmode on or off. Devmode is on when the widget shows the green 'On' icon you see above. If devmode is off you will see a red 'Off' icon instead.
Devmode enables you to drag widgets out of the dasboard layer and onto the desktop. After devmode is enabled, you may drag a widget out of the dashboard layer by following by...
1. Make sure the DevMode widget show the green 'On' icon
2. Press the Dashboard activation key (F12 by default)
3. Click and hold the primary mouse button on any widget you have open in the dashboard layer
4. Press the Dashboard activation key again while still holding that mouse button
5. Now you may release the mouse button and the widget will stay on the desktop
You can now show and hide the dashboard layer and the widget you moved to the desktop will stay on the desktop layer.
You can put widgets back into the dashboard layer the same way. Just grab the widget, press the dashboard key, and let it drop back into the dashboard layer.