- Version 2.0.3 | Release Date: 2013-01-21 | Download
- Version 2.0 | Release Date: 2012-03-13 | Download
New Features in Audacity 2.0
Audacity 2.0 is our current version. It has dozens of new features, developed in the 1.3 series. It replaces all previous versions, especially 1.2.6 and 1.3.14. See New Features in 1.3 for changes during the 1.3 series. See also Release Notes for more details.
Some of the major changes in 2.0.0 over 1.2.6 are:
Many effects significantly improved, especially Equalization, Noise Removal and Normalize. Vocal Remover now included plus GVerb on Windows and Mac. VAMP analysis plug-ins now supported.
Improved label tracks with Sync-Lock Tracks feature in the Tracks Menu. Multiple clips per track. Tracks and selections can be fully manipulated using the keyboard. Many more keyboard shortcuts.
New Device Toolbar to manage inputs and outputs. Timer Record feature. New Mixer Board view with per-track VU meters.
Automatic Crash Recovery in the event of abnormal program termination.
Fast "On-Demand" import of WAV/AIFF files if read directly from source. FLAC now fully supported. Added support for optional FFmpeg library for import/export of AC3/M4A/WMA and import of audio from video files.
- Version 1.3.14 | Release Date: 2011-12-11 | Download
-Fixes for data loss when encountering corrupted project files. Steps taken to prevent writing of overlong audio data block files.
-Excessive delay occurred when typing into labels in long projects.
-MP2 files could not be imported natively. File types requiring FFmpeg library imported as noise if FFmpeg was unavailable.
-Crashes fixed when dragging tracks. Crash fixed when resetting Toolbars when an audio stream was present.
-Plot Spectrum didn't preserve signal level if multiple tracks were analyzed.
Changes and Improvements:
-Normalize now preserves left-right balance in stereo tracks by default with an option to normalize stereo channels independently.
-Spectrograms now allow window sizes up to 32768 and frequencies up to half the sample rate (the maximum possible).
-Mix and Render now preserves clip length by not rendering white space before the start of audio, and preserves audio before time zero.
-CleanSpeech Mode has been removed from Preferences but can be run or disabled in 1.3.14 by changing Preferences in a previous Audacity version.
-(OS X) Added support for AudioUnit MusicEffects (but no MIDI support).
- Version 1.2.5 | Release Date: 2010-04-01 | Download
- No changes specified
- Version 1.3.10 | Release Date: 2009-12-01 | Download
Imports/Exports bug fixes:
- Freeze importing audio files in Pitch (EAC) view
- Corrupted WAV or AIFF imports and WMA exports
- Metadata Editor appeared before the Export window
- Crash/hang using Equalization; errors in Reverse and Truncate Silence
- Nyquist: Excessive memory consumption; errors in European locales; inaccurate text box values
- VST effects remained in menu when no longer available
- Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects
- Desynchronized playback/data loss when using multiple tracks
- Crash opening Preferences when no valid devices present
- (Windows) Audacity sometimes did not come up on top at launch
- (Linux) Crash when undoing or redoing label edits
- Improved copying/pasting of label-with-audio and system clipboard text
- Contrast Tool now modeless, intuitive handling of multiple project windows, various other improvements
- Version 1.3.9 | Release Date: 2009-09-01 | Download
Bug fixes for:
- Crash, slow launch or excessive CPU/memory use arising from automatic VST support:
- VST instrument plug-ins should now be correctly ignored
- VST effects now scanned only at start of first session that detects them, then cached
- Effects are now not loaded or opened until needed
- New "Effects" tab in Preferences to enable/disable VST effects and enable VST rescan on next launch
- Default View Mode now works
- Chains now always apply their stored parameters rather than those last used in Effect menu
- Non-MP3 files imported via drag or Recent Files caused crash if filter in file open window set to MP3
- AAC exports (using the optional FFmpeg library) silenced
- Generating audio always fitted the project in the window; fit now done only if generating in new track
- View menu items/shortcuts incorrectly disabled when playing or recording
- DTMF generator defaulted to zero duration on open
- Unwanted interactions between linked audio and label tracks
- (Windows XP) Failure to launch on some machines due to "incorrect configuration" issue
- (Windows) Crash importing a stereo file while a screen reader such as JAWS is running
- (Mac OS X) :
- Audio Units effects applied to all tracks in project even if not selected
- QuickTime importer now handles files greater than 16-bit or 64000 Hz
- Various other interface bugs
- Compressor: new option to compress based on peaks, improved attack and decay time support
- Mixer Board: improved design, more responsive meters and now interacts fully with Track Panel in main window
- Version 1.3.8 | Release Date: 2009-07-21 | Download
Effects and Analysis:
- VST Effects now display GUI by default
- Faster Equalization and Noise Removal; improved Truncate Silence and Click Track
- Chains applied to files now clear temporary data after processing each file
- Updated Nyquist implementation with support for SAL syntax and improved memory management
- Plot Spectrum now analyzes up to 237.8 seconds of audio, with separate windows for each project and improved display; new preferences for Spectrograms
- Contrast Analysis tool now modeless for easier use
- Draft Manual/Quick Help included in Windows and Mac installers
- New "Mixer Board" view with per-track VU meters
- Mute, solo, gain, pan and track height saved in projects
- More compact Preferences window with easier-to-use Keyboard tab and new toolbars shortcuts
- New Screenshot Tools and improved screen reader support
- Record more than 16 channels (hardware/drivers permitting)
- Improved support for non-mmap ALSA devices such as PulseAudio
- 32-bit float data over 0 dB now handled without clipping
- "Stop" option when importing preserves already imported data
- AMR NB export now supported if the optional FFmpeg library is installed
- Faster waveform drawing and better response in multi-track projects
- Export Multiple: failed if empty label encountered; files silenced if overwriting imported WAV files without copying them in
- Metadata Editor hidden if it was on a now unavailable second monitor
- Misaligned audio after "Split New" or Noise Removal effect
- Incorrect label movement and paste with linked audio and label tracks
- Equalization, Cut Preview and Advanced Mixing Options dialogue
- (Linux) Mixer Toolbar should now adjust levels and select input sources properly
- "Audio cache" preference caused crashes - data is now only cached in memory if available RAM is above a level defined in preferences
- Various other crashes
- Version 1.3.7 | Release Date: 2009-01-27 | Download
- No changes specified
- Version 1.3.6 | Release Date: 2008-10-23 | Download
- FFmpeg support (downloadable separately) permits import and export of a much wider range of file formats, including WMA, M4A and AC3, plus import of audio from video files
- On-demand loading of uncompressed files eliminates the wait before files can be played or edited
- Linked audio and label tracks allow labels to move with their corresponding audio when cutting, pasting or changing speed or tempo
- Hierarchical plug-in grouping for built-in plug-ins
- Version 1.3.5d | Release Date: 2008-08-08 | Download
- Several bugs fixed so that latency correction should be better, and more devices work correctly.
- Problems with invalid sample rates under Linux should be much rarer.
- Newer version of Portaudio library.
- New feature to record onto the end of an existing track (hold Shift while clicking Record).
- Updated versions of Libogg, Libvorbis, Libflac, Libsndfile and Twolame libraries.
- Handling of unsupported file formats more informative.
- Handling of file names with slashes on OS X improved.
- New dialog allows replacement of illegal file name characters on all platforms.
- Improved scaling and layout for rulers and VU meters.
- Envelope fixes/improvements including full control of undo/redo.
- New keyboard shortcuts and improved menu navigation.
- More intuitive tab arrangement.
- New options for mute/solo and Metadata Editor behavior.
- Language can now be changed without restart.
- Expanded Build Information tab.
- New Vocal Remover plug-in, improvements for Generate effects.
- Fixes when building Audacity with libraries disabled.
- Improvements to make Mac and Solaris builds easier.
- Full fix for issue CVE-2007-6061 on systems where temporary directories can be changed by other users (thanks to Michael Schwendt).
- Updated translations for many locales.
- Several stability improvements.
- Version 1.2.5 (intel) | Release Date: 2007-12-18 | Download
there is no universal binary - the intel version is 1.2.5, the ppc version is 1.2.6.
- Version 1.2.6 | Release Date: 2006-11-14 | Download
- Fixed memory leaks on Windows.
- Corrected font size problems.
- Enabled missing FLAC support.
- Fixed Mac OS X (PPC only) screen redraw issues.
- Version 1.2.5 | Release Date: 2006-10-29 | Download
Support for new file formats, including FLAC
Fixes for Mac audio problems
Fix Generate Silence bug, a crash issue, and Linux GCC build issues
Intel Mac support
- Version 1.2.4 | Release Date: 2006-02-24 | Download
- No changes specified