Licence: Shareware (20)
- Version 2.0.2 | Release Date: 2012-10-15 | Download
- Use the File menu or Command-Shift-P
- Saves PNGs with transparency.
- Works with retina displays.
- A crash related to closing windows has been fixed.
- Typing in a disconnected terminal now works properly.
- Improved stability with the following graphics cards:
- Intel HD 3000
- ATI Radeon HD series
- Version 2.0.1 | Release Date: 2012-09-08 | Download
- Older MacBookPros no longer display an empty picture.
- Setting a custom reflection photo works once again.
- Version 2.0.0 | Release Date: 2012-09-07 | Download
- New icon.
- New spring effect when scrolling or moving windows.
- Better support for opening text files from the Finder or Dock.
- Fixed some crashes related to closing windows and multiple monitors.
- Version 1.9.8 | Release Date: 2012-08-27 | Download
Retina Display Support
- Enable it in the Preferences
- Leave it off for higher framerates
- Works with mixed monitor setups
New Mouse Options
- Copy on select
- Paste with the right or middle mouse button
- Enable these features in the Terminal section of the preferences
- The glow effect looks much more realistic
- Noise and retrace effects don't go outside the picture area
- Transparency works in Low rendering mode
- Minimal rendering mode text is sharp
- Fixed a bug that was causing a slight flash when switching windows
- Version 1.9.0 | Release Date: 2012-08-10 | Download
- Autosaving can be disabled for text documents.
- Smoother window resizing and font zooming.
- Better resampling for Picture and Camera documents.
- Reflection image can be selected using an Open dialog.
- Text no longer disappears in background windows on certain ATI graphics cards.
- Initial window sizing and placement is smarter.
- Scrolling never occurs when clicking in the toolbar.
- Version 1.8.0 | Release Date: 2012-08-01 | Download
- Thousands of new characters: Punctuation, Symbols, Greek, Hebrew, Math, more Latin and Cyrillic, etc.
- Supported ranges are U+0000..U+0600, U+2000..U+2200, and U+25xx.
- Classic fonts fall back to Monaco, for now.
- Window sizing is more consistent when resuming the app, making new documents, and changing themes.
- Font zooming is smoother, sharper, and more powerful.
- Classic and modern fonts are sized more consistently.
- Immersive mouse cursor is now optional, and is off by default.
- The window title shows the grid size.
- Selection looks better over multiple foreground/background colors.
- Toolbar with font controls.
- Version 1.7.0 | Release Date: 2012-07-17 | Download
- Text size can be controlled by scaling pixels, rather than just point size.
- A new "Lock Grid Size" option makes sizing less clunky.
- New "Vertical Interlace" effect can make nice looking square pixels.
- Ambient light on the frame looks better on many graphics cards.
- Glow and jitter look better at large font scales.
- Added more keyboard shortcuts for paragraph navigation in text documents.
- Effect sliders are disabled when not available at the current rendering quality.
- Very long text buffers aren't cut off when pasted.
- Favorites always respect their themes on launch.
- Very long lines in text documents are wrapped properly.
- Version 1.6.0 | Release Date: 2012-06-28 | Download
- Many layout glitches have been solved -particularily in emacs
- Fixed a bug that was causing text to overwrite rather than insert
- Dark grey text is now visible
- Choose between Minimal, Low, Medium, and High rendering modes
- Moving effect sliders down to 0 improves performance
- Selection is visible for black text on a white background
- Supports Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- ARC and modern Objective-C used under the hood
- No more crashes when deleting shortcuts
- Version 1.5.0 | Release Date: 2012-06-16 | Download
- Documents and windows are restored between app launches
- Text documents use auto-saving on Mac OS 10.7
- New menus for controlling fonts, colors, and themes
- Common commands can be stored as Favorites
- Favorites can be launched with keyboard shortcuts
Keyboard and Mouse
- Middle click copies selected text, or pastes the clipboard
- PageUp/PageDown/Home/End keys can send custom control codes
- A new "Camera" mode for converting live video feeds to ASCII art (see the Favorites menu)
- New "minimal" rendering mode ("low" and "medium" coming soon)
- Smoother fluid mode resizing
- Terminal no longer resizes when starting "screen"
- Fixed a bug that was inverting text incorrectly
- No more mouse cursor drawing conflicts
- DISPLAY envar is now properly set
- Version 1.2.0 | Release Date: 2012-02-22 | Download
- Open URLs by command double-clicking
- Scrollbars can be hidden when not using the mouse/trackpad
- Key repeat is back
- Drag and drop reflection image in preferences
- Scrolling now works smoothly in background windows
- 256 colors
- Blinking text
- Underlined text
- ASCII line drawing characters
- Set TERM (xterm/xterm-color/xterm-256color) from the preferences
- Better emulation, especially in Midnight Commander
- New "overbright" property has been split out of "glow"
- Other monitor properties have been renamed (Interlace -> Scan-Lines, Contrast -> Backlight, Line -> Retrace)
- Fixed a crash that count happen when closing windows or moving windows between multiple monitors.
- Fixed a bug that could truncate long strings when copied.
- Select-by-word properly understands cyrillic characters
- Version 1.1.1 | Release Date: 2012-01-29 | Download
- Huge improvements in emulation accuracy
- Cathode passes all the layout tests in vttest
- Lots of bugs fixed
- Prompt never appears on the wrong line
- Option to use a custom fullscreen mode that's nicer than Lion's
- Framerate slider
- Positional window perspective can be disabled
- Nicer mouse cursor
- Version 1.0.0 | Release Date: 2011-10-31 | Download
- Cyrillic glyphs are now available.
- Classic fonts have been updated.
- New multi-threaded renderer gives smoother framerates.
- CPU and battery utilization have been reduced.
- Window resizing feels like butter.
- Fullscreen and background windows are less taxing on the system.
- Fixed some minor rendering glitches.
- Fixed a bug that had broken function keys.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing individual sounds from being disabled.
- Added a setting to disable all sounds.
- Version 0.9.9 | Release Date: 2011-10-08 | Download
- You can now view and edit plain text files without an underlying terminal.
- Use "Open" or "New Editor" in the file menu.
- Supports standard Mac OS keyboard shortcuts for text navigation.
- Uses standard Mac OS open/save panels and change tracking.
- New section of the Preferences for customizing sounds.
- Startup chimes
- Ambient fan, hard drive, and CPU sounds
- Scroll feedback
- Character entry clicks
- Error beeps
- Modem noise
Custom Screen Reflection
- Use your webcam to take a static reflection photo of your environment.
- This is the most requested feature of all time.
- Pasted text is no longer escaped with slashes.
- Use the option key and left/right arrows to move by word at the shell prompt.
- Fixed a bug that was causing copied text to be cropped.
- Fixed a crash caused by unexpected unicode characters.
- Removed some asserts that were accidentally left enabled in release builds.
- Version 0.9.8 | Release Date: 2011-08-07 | Download
- Lion-style fullscreen experience.
- Shift + page up/down now work like in Terminal.app.
- Locale environment variables can be disabled.
- Open any image file to generate ascii art.
- Keyboard combos for international characters have been restored.
- Cursor disappearing bug has been fixed.
- Issuing an exit command in a fullscreen window now works.
- Terminal emulation continues to improve.
- Version 0.9.7 | Release Date: 2011-06-18 | Download
- Shown as needed, just like iOS and Mac OS X Lion
- Nice looks that don't interfere with the mood
- New setting for linking column and row count to window size.
Integrated Graphics Cards
- Support for many on-board graphics cards from Intel
- Tested and working on the 2011 13" MacBook Pro, among others
- Launch ".command" files from the finder
- Can contain shell scripts or simple commands
- Relaunch from the "Open Recent" menu
- New "Terminal" section in Preferences (some options have moved)
- Close on exit
- Delete sends Ctrl-H
- Scroll on input
- Dynamically change the scrollback buffer size
- Fixed a crash that was occurring on Asian language systems
- More accurate terminal emulation
- Version 0.9.6 | Release Date: 2011-03-18 | Download
- Works with PageUp/PageDown/Home/End.
- Works with mouse gestures.
- Looks great.
Better International Text Support
- All characters from the ISO-8859-1 (Latin1 / Western Europe) standard are now supported.
- You can use standard Mac OS X key combos for entering characters. (eg. add an acute accent by typing option+'e' before a character).
- Classic bitmap fonts have been updated to support ISO-8859-1.
- UTF-8 is used internally for all data flow.
- The LANG environment variable is now set based on the language settings in System Preferences.
- SSH no longer asks for passwords repeatedly. Cathode properly sets the SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable.
- Bell sound can be disabled in the General Preferences.
New Command-Line Defaults
- "ScrollBackRowCount" (Default is 10000)
- "Color1", "Color2" ... "Color15" (For overriding the standard colors. Uses hex RGB strings. Eg. red would be "FF0000").
- "BackgroundWindowsRenderAtFullQuality" (The default is NO. Intended only for media centers/kiosks/servers. This feature can significantly slow down drawing in other apps.)
- There are driver issues with some of the brand new MacBooks (introduced on Feb 26th 2011). These are a top priority.
- Vttest still shows quite a few emulation layout bugs. These are a medium-to-high priority.
- Version 0.9.5 | Release Date: 2011-02-17 | Download
- Mouse cursor.
- Mouse selection (by character, word, or line).
- Drag and drop files.
- Buffer clearing with command-K.
- Use option/alt as meta key.
- Forward delete key.
- Three new classic fonts (thanks to Damien Guard).
- More bit-rates to choose from.
- Now fully 64-bit, fully Cocoa, using the modern runtime, and compiled with LLVM.
- Fixed some terminal alignment glitches (often seen in "screen").
- Fixed a crash that was occurring in "vttest".
- Fixed a bug that was causing jumbled text on nVidia 7300/7600 GT and 4500 FX graphics cards.
- Users are now properly warned about unsupported graphics hardware (Intel GMA 950/X3100, ATI Radeon 1600/1900).
- Version 0.9.4 | Release Date: 2011-01-19 | Download
- No changes specified