- Version 1.3.2 | Release Date: 2007-09-22 | Download
This release of Galcon includes several bug fixes. A cheat whereby you could take over unpassworded accounts in mid-game has been patched. A number of crashes in the single player game have been patched. Also, when rounds end, a "ding" sounds so that if you are AFK you can get back before the next round begins.
- Version 1.3.1 | Release Date: 2007-07-04 | Download
- ThirdMissions - A set of Missions by ThirdParty, these missions are geared towards advanced players who want to hone their skills.
- Gnip Nuke - Ever want to just BLOW UP A PLANET? Well, now you can. SirGnip has brought us this great fun new mod! Neutralize planets by the dozen with your nukes!
- Symmetry - Another jewel by ThirdParty - finally, you can play a fair round against the computer and see how you stack up against it. All maps are symetrical, and thus guaranteed to give equal positioning to all players.
- Map Editor - Galcon now includes a map editor, allowing you to try creating your own planet layouts and try them against the computer.
- Gnip Elite - Another one by SirGnip - this one lets you have an "elite fleet" which gets special bonus when attacking planets. Quite fun!
There are a handful of other new mods, so check them out! The best bit is, you won't have to download and install the mods by hand anymore, they are included right in the game under the "Single Player" menu item! Please come to the website and post in the forum and tell SirGnip and ThirdParty thanks for their great mods!
- Version 1.2.2 | Release Date: 2007-05-16 | Download
It's mainly a minor update to the mods system with some cool new features:
(You can access the mods screen by pressing 'm' on the main menu. Mods system is still in beta. Beware!)
- Mods now display their title and an icon / screenshot. Height is 150px.
- Mods may now be stored in an alternate folder, by default on MacOSX that is now in ~/Library/Application Support/Galcon/mods
- Added in Sound and Music APIs
- Added ex_orbit demo of moving planets!
- Improved the gui in a number of ways. Should be more stable and slightly better looking now. Arrow key, tab support, event handlers, Document widget, bug fixes.
- Version 1.2.1 | Release Date: 2007-05-10 | Download
Here's to yet another Galcon release :) This one brings in a lot of new features for mod-builders - and some fun new single player missions for those of you who aren't into mod-building. I'll leave the technical stuff for the end, but here's what you can see in this release:
Download it now!
Press 'm' on the Main Menu and you'll be transported to the beta-mods section:
- ex_gui - play single player missions with any variety of # of planets, bots (just like in the multi-player game)
- ex_cloak - play against a bot who has a cloaking device!
- ex_speed - play against a bot who can fly 2x your speed!
- ex_teams - play in a team against two bots
- ex_zones - play the classic mission - with lots of circles on the screen ?! (okay - this doesn't make any sense to a non-modder, but it's still pretty cool to play)
I've also updated the mods to make it easy to install mods built by other people. (However, you might want to wait a day or two so those mod authors can update their mods to work with the latest goodies.)
Technical stuff (if you're not going to be modding, don't bother reading this :)
- Version 1.2.0 | Release Date: 2007-04-28 | Download
added beta mod system (see below for more info!) includes map editor and mini-games and more!
- /mute and /unmute commands now work!
- added additional cabin boy restrictions the net game
- fixed some bugs with admins being de-admined
- improved the tab completion feature
- May not start games if a registered user is present
- May not join teams if no registered users are joining teams
- May not change options - at all.
The new mods system in Galcon is in "beta" now. It works, but use it at your own risk! To check it out press 'm' on the main menu (there isn't a clickable link) and you'll be sent to a page where you can see the 3 mods I've included for you to play with. They are a version of the "Classic" game, a map editor, and a mini game called nibbles. All of these mods include full source, so now you can modify those to have different game play different bots, different maps, etc. Over time I'll be adding some guides to the website and more tutorial-like examples to it. For now, you just have some raw stuff to work with.
To add your own mods, go to:
Windows: c:\program files\galcon\mods\
This is all very experimental so things may not work perfectly. Also, since this is in "beta" some of the Galcon API, is subject to change over time. If you find any bugs or problems, please post them to the Galcon forums in the new Mods topic. I'm very excited to see what people are able to build!
- Version 1.1.4 | Release Date: 2007-03-08 | Download
* /ranks 123456 - Now you can set your server to be only for certain ranks. 1 - Admirals ... 6 - Cabin Boys. This means you can have a "Beginners" server that is actually for beginners /ranks 345. Or an "Experts" server /ranks 12.
* tim put together some great music for the missions portion of Galcon - check it out if you haven't played the missions lately.
* Tired of trying to type in my name? Just type "phil"[tab] = "/surrender" The default remains so that laptop users can change their Ships %.
* /mute $user - now admins can put the kibosh on players who just can't shut up!
* Bug fixes, including (as best we can tell) a few fixes for some of those net bugs where things didn't work quite right. Thanks to carn for helping out lots!
- Version 1.1.3 | Release Date: 2007-02-14 | Download
Due to popular demand, I've changed the way teams are represented in game from coloring all the planets one color, to coloring the aura (atmosphere) of the planets the color of the team. This makes it much easier to follow the action in team games.
- I've added the /banlist and /adminlist commands as well as updated the /admin, /ban commands to work even when the user isn't signed onto the server. This should be handy for admins.
- Added F4 to take a screen shot! By default it saves the image to your desktop, but you can change that in the options.
Licence: Shareware (20$)