- Version 0.9.8 x86_64 | Release Date: 2011-07-18 | Download
- HandBrake x86_64 Appcast http://handbrake.fr/appcast_unstable.x86_64.xml en Wed Jul 18 00:01:01 2011 Wed Jul 18 00:01:01 2011 HandBrake 0.9.8 Released 2012071700 "0.9.8 x86_64" http://handbrake.fr/appcast/stable.html Wed Jul 18 00:01:01 2011 10.6.0 http://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-0.9.8-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe&update=true
- Version 0.9.6 x86_64 | Release Date: 2011-02-28 | Download
- HandBrake x86_64 Appcast http://handbrake.fr/appcast_unstable.x86_64.xml en Mon Feb 28 00:01:01 2011 Mon Feb 28 00:01:01 2011 HandBrake 0.9.6 Released 2012022800 "0.9.6 x86_64" http://handbrake.fr/appcast/stable.html Mon Feb 28 00:01:01 2011 10.6.0 http://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-0.9.6-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe&update=true
- Version 0.9.5 x86_64 | Release Date: 2011-01-02 | Download
- HandBrake x86_64 Appcast http://handbrake.fr/appcast_unstable.x86_64.xml en Mon Jan 03 00:01:01 2011 Mon Jan 03 00:01:01 2011 HandBrake 0.9.5 Released 2011010300 "0.9.5 x86_64" http://handbrake.fr/appcast/stable.html Mon Jan 03 00:01:01 2011 10.5.0
- Version 0.9.5 | Release Date: 2010-01-03 | Download
* BluRay disc structure support. (No decryption support)
* Updated Libraries (x264, ffmpeg)
* SSA Subtitle support. (Including burn-in)
* MP3 audio now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
* VOBSUB subtitle now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
* Updated Presets for newer devices and better quality
* AC3 encoding support.
* Many Bug Fixes and other small improvements
* Improved DVD Main Feature detection (when using dvdnav)
* Universal audio downmix support (all audio types can be downmixed)
* Point*to*Point encoding (second or frame start and end times)
* Peak framerate option (Capped VFR)
* Updated x264 Advanced Panel
* Video Quality Slider drops % value and only shows RF for x264
* Batch Scan (Scan Multiple files at once. N.B: Does not include multiple VIDEO_TS folders / Image files)
* Many Bug fixes
* Many Tweaks to improve usability.
* Ability to edit queue jobs
* New Audio Panel supporting >4 Audio Tracks
* VLC detection in /Applications and ~/Applications
* Multiple instance support
* Encode Status in GUI. (CLI window is now always hidden)
* Improved Auto-Naming for Destination file name.
* Drag / Drop Video onto Main Window to scan.
* Multiple instance support (run multiple copies of ghb at once)
* Many Bug fixes and UI improvements.
* Power PC (PPC) is no longer officially supported. Given limited resources and time, it simply isnât feasible for this project to support minority platforms. For those of you still using older hardware, we recommend you stick with 0.9.4.
- Version 0.9.4 | Release Date: 2009-11-27 | Download
A complete overhaul.
See http://handbrake.fr/?article=10 for a complete changelog.
- Version 0.9.4 x86_64 | Release Date: 2009-11-23 | Download
- HandBrake x86_64 Appcast http://handbrake.fr/appcast.x86_64.xml en Mon Nov 23 15:41:36 2009 Mon Nov 23 15:41:36 2009 HandBrake 0.9.4 Released 2009112300 "0.9.4 x86_64" http://handbrake.fr/appcast/stable.html Mon Nov 23 15:41:36 2009 10.5.0
- Version 0.9.4 | Release Date: 2009-11-23 | Download
- New build system, allowing 64-bit binaries (around 10% faster)
- Soft subtitles and Closed Captions:
- DVD Closed Captions
- ATSC Closed Captions
- SRT subtitle import
- Text soft subtitles in MP4 and MKV output
- Bitmap soft subtitles in MKV output
- Better support for DVD inputs:
- Uses libdvdnav
- DVD angles support
- Workaround for libdvdread malloc bomb on invalid PGC entry
- DVD drive region detection support in Linux
- Handles DVD programs with more than 16 streams
- No longer tries to detect and discard duplicate titles when scanning
- Libdvdnav patched to perform read error recovery
- Libdvdread patched to allow raw device access in Windows
- Handles poorly mastered DVDs that had the menus ripped out of them
- Better support for non-DVD inputs:
- Preserves MP4 metadata
- DTS-HD demuxing
- 8 bit audio
- Better handling of transport streams where audio starts first
- Better handling of transport streams that have been spliced together, leading to duplicate timestamps
- Better VC-1 frame detection
- Fixes bug that was causing one sec. of audio to be dropped on many ffmpeg files
- Looks harder for aspect ratio info from DV sources
- No longer truncates the last (dummy) chapter
- Allows specifying field parity for detelecine and decomb
- Better AV sync
- Support for sources with no audio
- DTS passthrough for MKV
- x264 bumped from r1169 to r1347, which means speed optimizations, new default settings (see r2742 commit comment), the magic of macroblock tree rate control (mbtree), a new CRF curve (meaning you will get different, generally lower bitrates at the same RF, with similar quality metrics), and weighted P-Frames (disabled by default for Baseline encodes and the AppleTV preset).
- Better sample interleaving
- Better, optional deinterlacer for decomb (EEDI2)
- New mode structure for the decomb filter
- Variable verbose logging levels
- Fixed timing for first two frames coming out of filters
- Libtheora bumped to 1.1.0
- Improvements to our theora implementation (2 pass encoding + soft target rate control)
- Caters to Theora's insistence on content having mod16 framing dimensions specified
- Flushes LAME encoder's final packets
- Fixed interjob framerate calculation
- Fixed pthreads regression in cygwin
- Tweaks for packaging tools
- Solaris 10 build support
- Live video preview
- New subtitle tab
- New filters and picture settings inspector
- Custom anamorphic mode
- Updated Sparkle
- Custom number of preview images
- Quality slider now works off actual rate factor/quantizer values instead of percentages
- Partially updated advanced x264 tab
- New built-in presets
- Use libdvdnav by default on DVD sources
- Removed Constant QP encoding option for x264 (use CRF)
- Various bug fixes and UI tweaks
- x264 turbo 1st pass mode now uses subme=2 not subme=1
- Core Audio AAC encoding
- H.264 video source decoding crash fixed
- Queue displays varying row heights based on encode settings
- Fixed EyeTV package scanning
- 64bit / 32 bit VLC detection
- Preset import/export
- Options to handle new subtitle, anamorphic, and preview features
- --srt-file, --srt-codeset, --srt-offset, --srt-lang, --srt-default
- --native-dub option lets users request dubbing instead of subs when the audio isn't in their native language
- Allow encoding sources with no audio without explicitly stating -a none
- Update checker on MinGW built exe should now work correctly.
- Matches GUIs' default verbosity level of 1
- Version 0.9.3 | Release Date: 2008-11-24 | Download
Universal input HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs: it will now accept practically any type of video as a source. This massive enhancement was achieved by tapping into the power of libavcodec and libavformat from the FFmpeg project.
Video quality The x264 project has really come into its own this year, and HandBrake 0.9.3 integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library. Picture quality has enhanced dramatically through the use of psychovisual rate distortion and adaptive quantization, and there have been significant speed optimizations.
Audio flexibility HandBrake now offers total control over multiple audio tracks.
No more internal DVD decryption
Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.
HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X.
We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone.
Persistent queues When queueing up a bunch of videos to encode, you need no longer fear a crash in HandBrake's graphical interfaces. Queued jobs are cached to disk for safekeeping between sessions.
New, better organized presets (Be sure to run "Update Built-In Presets" from the Presets menu!) The presets are now "nested" in folders and have evolved. Notably, there is a new Apple "Universal" preset, designed to play and look good doing so on anything from an iPod Nano to an AppleTV. There have been many changes to most of them. Please be aware that most presets now use different settings. This means most of them are not suited for benchmarking 0.9.3 against 0.9.2. For example, the AppleTV preset is slower because it is now quality based, and produces much more efficient output. The Normal preset uses psychovisual rate distortion. The High Profile presets use psychovisual trellising. All of these setting changes can influence encoding time and output file size. For comparison purposes, there are several presets in the Apple->Legacy folder (the old iPod High-Rez, the old AppleTV, and the old iPhone presets) which remain unchanged since 0.9.2.
Audio-video synchronization HandBrake should now keep lip-synch as well as a DVD player can.
Decomb filter HandBrake now offers a decomb filter, in the style of AviSynth's. It is a deinterlacer that can be left on all the time without degrading picture quality, because it only deinterlaces video when it visibly needs to be.
Multi-threaded deinterlacing The "Slow" and "Slower" filters, as well as the new decomb filter, will now take advantage of as many processors as you can throw at them.
"Same as source framerate" really is the same as the source framerate HandBrake now, by default, passes through the exact video framerate of the source instead of smoothing to a constant rate, which could lead to frames being duplicated or dropped.
Theora video encoding HandBrake now can encode video using the Theora codec.
Updated libraries Besides x264, updated libraries include libsamplerate, libogg, xvidcore, libmpeg2, lame, faac, and ffmpeg's libavcodec, libavformat, and libswscale.
Massive improvements to all interfaces As hard as it might be to believe, the changes listed above are only the tip of the iceberg.
- Version 0.9.2 | Release Date: 2008-02-19 | Download
- Version 0.9.1 | Release Date: 2007-10-07 | Download
This minor update squashes a number of glaring bugs. Most notably, HandBrake will no longer hang at the end of encoding MKV files with chapter markers. This means the Animation, Bedlam, Constant Quality Rate, Deux Six Quatre, Film, and Television presets are now usable.
- Version 0.9.0 | Release Date: 2007-08-18 | Download
* User experience is improved through a re-envisioned Mac interface and a Windows interface thatÃ¢ÂÂs been rebuilt from the ground up.
* Picture quality is improved through better image scaling, better deinterlacing, new filters for denoising, deblocking, inverse telecine, and new presets devoted to high quality settings.
* Speed improvements due to updated copies of x264 and ffmpeg. This includes improved multi-threaded encoding for the iPod.
* Compatibility is improved through new presets for devices like the iPhone and PSP. As well, HandBrake now supports DTS as an audio source and has limited support for .VOB and .TS file containers as input. Most excitingly, HandBrake can now output to the Matroska (MKV) file container.
* Stability has been improved due to countless bug fixes. (Including audio drop and mp2 issues). Handbrake also has optional support for MP4 files larger than 4 gigabytes.
- Version 0.8.5b1 | Release Date: 2007-04-20 | Download
- Added: iTunes-style chapter markers.
- Added: 5.1 AAC surround sound.
- Added: Dolby Pro Logic I and II downmixing of discrete surround sound.
- Added: 1-channel AAC sound from monophonic sources.
- Added: Advanced x264 options. (including High Profile support)
- Added: B-frames in x264 + .mp4
- Added: PPC Linux Support.
- Added: Preserve language IDs from the DVD in .mp4
- Added: Snapshot build method.
- Added: Anamorphic video display in QuickTime.
- Changed: Renamed back to HandBrake.
- Changed: Libraries updated.
- Changed: Enabled Update Checker.
- Fixed: Multiple Audio tracks.
- Fixed: Sped up DVD scanning time by being nicer to libdvdread.
- Fixed: .dmg is now mountable in Mac OS X versions older than 10.4
- Fixed: Proper output size from x264 in target size mode.
- Fixed: Allows output sizes larger than 2 gigs in Linux.
- Fixed: Several small memory leaks have been plugged.
- Fixed: Fixes for 64-bit systems.
- Fixed: Keep Aspect Ratio is no longer forced, so user-set height values are respected.
CLI Interface Changes
- Added: Customize maximum width and height while keeping aspect ratio
- Changed: Much prettier help screen
- Changed: HBTest/MediaForkCLI renamed to HandBrakeCLI
- Fixed: Better display of audio and subtitle ids
Mac GUI Changes
- Added: Presets! Includes initial ones for AppleTV, iPod, and PS3.
- Added: Preference option to auto-name output files with the DVD name and title number.
- Added: Preset support for x264 options.
- Changed: Remembers last destination path.
- Changed: Remembers last source path.
- Changed: Copy and paste in text fields.
- Changed: Updates target size more quickly.
- Changed: Mac GUI no longer retains target size values between enqueued jobs. (http://HandBrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249)
- Fixed: Preview frames are no longer distorted in anamorphic mode.
- Fixed: Mac GUI no longer floats above other windows.
- Fixed: Browse by file no longer dims the browse button preventing you from changing browse locations without switching back and forth between it and drive selection. (http://HandBrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342)
- Fixed: Makes sure destination directory is valid.
- Fixed: Fills in the file save field with the current output name instead of leaving it blank.
- Fixed: Update destination field with the current path instead of using the last one, which could have been a DVD.
- Version 0.7.1 | Release Date: 2006-07-05 | Download
- Universal Binary for PPC and Intel
- Bugfixes for missing subtitles, audio glitches with LPCM tracks and more
- Version 0.7.0 | Release Date: 2006-02-20 | Download
- No changes specified