- Version 2.1 | Release Date: 2016-09-20 | Download
Better Schedule options
- Changed the way the scheduler handles the first break of the day, so the work time is now equal between each break. For example, a 10 minute break every hour will now start the break after 50 minutes of work time, and so on throughout the day.
- Now displays the work time next to the frequency control.
- Replaced the Reset After Duration natural break option with a checkbox to reset after a specified interval of idle, screensaver or sleep time, where you can choose the threshold interval. Off by default, and is a supporter reward, like the old option.
- Added an option to reset the break after finishing a higher priority break. This is useful to keep lower priority breaks (e.g. Micro) aligned with higher priority ones (e.g. Normal). Off by default, and is also a supporter reward.
The Status item can now omit Micro breaks
- Added an option on the General preferences page to only include long breaks in the status menu bar item. Off by default, so all breaks are included, but if you only want a countdown to the next lengthy break (of a minute or more), you can turn this on.
New menu commands to improve discoverability
- Added an Edit Break command in the break Options menu, to make editing breaks more intuitive. This is equivalent to simply selecting the break in the sidebar, and will show an alert mentioning this.
- Added a Start Next Break command in the File and action (cog) menus to manually begin the break that is next due. Especially useful as it can have a global keyboard shortcut assigned to it via the Shortcuts preferences.
- Added a Reveal Data Folder command in those menus, to quickly and easily show the Time Out data folder in the Finder, as an easier way to add or edit sounds and themes, or send the data to Dejal for diagnostics.
Improved Play Sound action
- Added a Reveal Sounds command to the sound pop-up menu in the Play Sound action, to show the Sounds folder in the Finder.
- Added headings in the Play Sound menu, to indicate where each of the groups of sounds are located on disk.
- Added some new built-in sounds: two different bells and a ticking clock. If you find any short public domain sound that others might like, let us know!
Added a Post Tweet action
- Added a new Post Tweet action to post an update to Twitter. It is only available from macOS Sierra (10.12), due to a bug in previous OS versions that prevents authorizing accounts.
- It includes an account popup to choose from which account to post. This could be fun for social peer pressure -- tweet when completing a break.
- Added the Sleep Mac action (available via the Time Out Extras page) to the default set. This AppleScript simply puts the Mac to sleep. Useful if you want it to be asleep during a break or at the end of day.
- Added the Start Screensaver action (also available there) to the default set. This AppleScript simply activates the screensaver. Useful if you want the screensaver on during a break.
- Also added a new Stop Screensaver action. This AppleScript deactivates the screensaver if it's active. Useful as an action at the end of a break.
Setup Assistant assistance
- Added a comment on the first page of the Setup Assistant to explain how to change the duration and frequency controls: "tab/arrow between components; arrow up/down or type to change values; click or spacebar to show a menu of options."
- Updated the tooltips of those controls to give the same tips.
- When returning to the Setup Assistant later in the app session, it now opens to the first page again, instead of whichever one was displayed when last closed.
- After trying supporter rewards, the Support Time Out page is selected, to hopefully help clarify that the features reverting is not a bug.
- For the Mac App Store edition, if a purchase hasn't been registered with the Dejal server, it will now ask you to do so when you next show the Support Time Out page, to avoid an issue that affects some people.
- When launching the direct edition for the first time, if the Mac App Store edition has previously been used, the direct edtion will use the same data, to make migration easier.
- Global shortcuts are now correctly removed after trying supporter rewards.
- If not using the Event Monitor idle detector (as set on the Advanced preferences), no longer unnecessarily sets up the event monitors on launch.
- Possible workaround for an Apple bug that causes the clipboard to stop working.
- Fixed a crasher on macOS Sierra (10.12) when displaying the support info popovers.
- Fixed a crasher when changing preference pages.
- Updated the help book.
- Version 2.0.2 | Release Date: 2016-03-23 | Download
- By popular request, increased the number of digits for the Break for duration and Every frequency on the Break Schedule page from 2 to 3, so you can enter 150 minutes to have a break every 2.5 hours, for example.
- Also added an option on the Exclusions page to automatically skip breaks that fall due while the screensaver is active, the display is asleep, another user is active, or the Mac is asleep. This defaults to on.
- Tweaked the scheduler to avoid App Nap interfering with idle detection and starting breaks when the window is closed and no status item is shown.
- Scheduler logging (in Advanced preferences) is now off by default for new users.
Mac App Store fixes
- Fixed another issue that prevented purchases from working for some people with the Mac App Store edition.
- Version 2.0.1 | Release Date: 2016-03-15 | Download
Added Dejus YouTube themes
- Added a couple of themes that play videos from the author's Dejus YouTube channel: Dejus Chickens (videos of David's chickens) and Dejus Water Features (David's ponds and fish).
- If you enjoy the videos, check out the channel for others, and like the videos and subscribe to the channel!
- The theme HTML isn't the best; if anyone can improve the video player to play the playlist in random order (while retaining looping when all videos played), and/or adapt the video size to the screen, please get in touch.
- These aren't included in the Mac App Store edition, but can be downloaded from the Time Out Extras page.
Made some things more intuitive
- On first launch, now selects the Break Schedule page by default, instead of General, to make it more obvious that the break items can be selected to edit the breaks.
- When trying a supporter reward, the â¤ icon button next to the control now remains visible and red, to indicate that it is being tried.
- Also, when first trying a supporter reward, the information popover now automatically appears, since some people didn't discover this.
Mac App Store fixes
- Fixed an issue that prevented purchases from working for some people with the Mac App Store edition.
- After successful purchase, now asks you to create or update your supporter account, so your supporter status can be restored.
- Changed the Restore Previous Purchases feature to use the supporter account, since the StoreKit restoration approach isn't available for non-renewing subscriptions.
- Version 2.0 | Release Date: 2016-03-07 | Download
Far too many changes to list here; highlights include:
- Redesigned app icon
- Redesigned Preferences window
- No longer needs to be in the Dock
- New menubar status item
- Assign global keyboard shortcuts to start, defer, pause, etc
- Add any number of breaks
- Rename, label and comment on breaks
- Scheduling improvements
- Limit breaks to a time range
- Support for natural breaks
- Better appearance
- Customizable HTML-based break themes
- Redesigned & movable control panel during breaks
- Add actions to notify of due, starting or finishing breaks
- Enhanced app exclusions
- Several advanced options
- New supporter options
- Optimized for Yosemite and El Capitan
See the full release notes via the Dejal web site for details.
- Version 1.7.1 | Release Date: 2012-11-26 | Download
- Fixed issue that prevented the timers from starting when auto-launched until Time Out is brought to the front the first time.
- Now sets the state of the auto-launch preference checkbox from whether or not it'll actually be launched, rather than just what was previously chosen (a subtle difference).
- Fixed the minimum OS requirement, so trying to launch it on an OS version before 10.7 will give an alert instead of unexpected behavior.
- Version 1.7 | Release Date: 2012-07-25 | Download
- Added a Volume slider to the Sound break preferences, enabling sounds to be played quieter if desired.
- Added a checkbox to enable repeating the start sound until the end of the break; useful to loop short sounds as an audio cue of the break.
- Reimplemented the auto-launch preference to work with Mountain Lion and sandboxing.
- Removed the quit confirmation preference.
- Removed the in-app purchase options, since not compatible with 64-bit, and rarely used. (Standard edition only)
- Fixed display of license entry date in the Licenses editor. (Standard edition only)
- Fixed drafting an email if a license couldn't be found. (Standard edition only)
- The standard edition of the app is now signed with a Developer ID to support Gatekeeper on Mountain Lion. (Standard edition only)
- Time Out now requires a 64-bit Mac and a minimum of OS X 10.7 (Lion).
- Many other behind-the-scenes improvements made possible by dropping older OS versions, PowerPC and 32-bit support.
- Version 1.6.5 | Release Date: 2012-04-23 | Download
- Fixed incorrect display of when the next normal break is due.
- Version 1.6.4 | Release Date: 2012-02-21 | Download
- Improved compatibility with Mac OS X 10.7.3.
- The donation button in the Preferences window now shows the Licenses window instead of going to the Dejal Store web page. (Standard edition only)
- Version 1.6.3 | Release Date: 2011-11-11 | Download
- Idle detection didn't work for a few people, so now tries a different approach if the idle interval appears invalid (let us know if it doesn't work for you!).
- Version 1.6.2 | Release Date: 2011-09-29 | Download
- The break timers are now reset when idle for the specified interval, even while still idle (it used to only reset when no longer idle).
- Breaks can now occur when idle, to avoid missing breaks when the computer is left alone for a few minutes, but less than the reset interval.
- Updated the Start Speech Automator workflow, and added a Speak Time script that does just that.
- Version 1.6.1 | Release Date: 2011-08-31 | Download
Fixed a bug that could prevent the breaks and/or menu items from working properly for some people.
- Version 1.6 | Release Date: 2011-08-29 | Download
- Added a new Exclusions preference page, which is only available on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). It enables you to automatically skip breaks if specified applications are frontmost, e.g. DVD Player, FaceTime, or similar.
- Added a sub-menu on the Pause Breaks command in the Break menu, to enable pausing for a specified interval. When that interval has elapsed, breaks will automatically resume. Useful when you don't want to be interrupted for a while.
- On first launch (or first in a while), Time Out now displays the Preferences window, to make it more obvious how to configure the breaks.
- Added a Licenses window in the standard edition, so people who have donated for version 2 can enter their license now. Time Out 1 remains freeware; you're welcome to continue using it forever at no cost.
- Moved the break display into a helper agent, so it works for Lion's full-screen apps.
- Plus other fixes for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) compatibility.
- The standard edition of Time Out now requires a minimum of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
- Many other behind-the-scenes improvements made possible by dropping Tiger support.
- Note: this version (and any 1.6.x bug fix releases) will be the last to support PowerPC (PPC) and Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 (Leopard and Snow Leopard). Version 2.0 will require a 64-bit Intel-based Mac and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later.
- Version 1.5.7 | Release Date: 2011-01-06 | Download
Changes to be compatible with the Mac App Store.
- Version 1.5.6 | Release Date: 2010-02-15 | Download
- The break screen now isn't hidden if the Time Out application is hidden.
- Version 1.5.5 | Release Date: 2009-09-10 | Download
- Enhanced Snow Leopard compatibility.
- Version 1.5.4 | Release Date: 2009-05-04 | Download
- Replaced the use of an undocumented routine to check the idle time with an approved one, to fix compatibility with Snow Leopard.
- Updated the bundled Adium scripts to support the current versions of the Adium instant messaging client, thanks to Nic Munroe. Note: if you used a previous version of Time Out, the scripts won't be replaced, in case you've customized them. You can download the updated scripts from the Time Out Extras site.
- Fixed an issue with the Preferences window, where edits might not be saved when quitting with the window still open (specifically when an edit is still active).
- Removed the old crash reporter, since it doesn't support Leopard crash logs.
- Now requires a minimum of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
- Version 1.5.3 | Release Date: 2008-06-19 | Download
- Improved the idle detection when the computer was sleeping.
- Added a hidden preference to output debug information about scheduling and idle detection to the Console log. It can be activated by entering "defaults write com.dejal.timeout DebugScheduler YES" in Terminal. You shouldn't turn this on unless you think Time Out isn't working properly, as it outputs quite a lot of information.
- Fixed a cosmetic bug with the Check for Updates feature when using a general release and wanting only general releases, and a beta release is available.
- Version 1.5.2 | Release Date: 2008-02-04 | Download
- Added support for Spaces in Leopard; the break now appears on all Spaces, even if you switch Spaces mid-break.
- Enhanced the URLs for the Help menu to better support localization.
- Switched the distribution method to ZIP archives instead of disk images, as it's simpler for everyone. Feedback welcome!
- Version 1.5 | Release Date: 2007-07-30 | Download
- Introduced a much nicer application icon, professionally designed by Emily Pfeifer.
- Rearranged the break contents: the progress bar and buttons are now in a box, and the icon is bigger... and prettier. :)
- Added options to the Appearance page to individually show or hide the Postpone and Skip buttons, and to change the number of minutes for the two Postpone ones.
- Added direct support for running Python scripts.
- Fixed some issues with scheduling breaks after postponing.
- The Dejal logo was also redesigned by Emily Pfeifer, so all places it occurred have been updated.
- Renamed the application to remove the exclamation point.
- Added improved exception logging, to help with diagnosing any future issues.
- Added the Dejal Blog and Forums to Help menu.
- Fixed an error that a few people experienced when checking for updates.
- Minor tweaks for Leopard (10.5) compatibility.
- Version 1.4.1 | Release Date: 2006-07-12 | Download
- No changes specified